by Josh Sandin
Posted on 1/31/2013
FORT DODGE – The students in Iowa Central’s Accounting Associate program want to help make tax time a little less stressful. The students are again participating in the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). They will be performing free income tax return preparation for individuals who earned less than $20,000, or married couples filing jointly that earned less than $50,000 as a family in 2012.
Preparations will be done by appointment only. Appointments will begin February 4 and continue through April 11 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30-5:30 p.m. in room 402 of the Applied Science and Technology Building or the Fort Dodge Public Library. Appointments can be made by calling 515-573-3170 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals that use the VITA program will need to bring the following:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards and birth dates for those filing and dependents
- Wage earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax ID number
- All parties filing will need to be present to sign the required forms